Now, I googled a lot for a perfect easy recipe. But in each recipe that I came across, I didn’t like this one or that one. Some recipes required ingredients that I didn’t have. So, then came inputs from M. Why not follow a little bit from this recipe and a little bit from that recipe and then further add our ingredients, said he. Now, the amalgamation turned out pretty impressive.
There are many variations of Roasted Chicken. Google, and you will see the results. There is a variety of seasonings that can be used. Like here I have used only parsley, but adding other herbs like thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano etc. can definitely enhance the taste. And, I’m sure they’ll all taste just good. So it will be a good idea if you would want to add something to the list of ingredients I have mentioned. Get imaginative.
One sad part of the story is by the time I took photographs of the chicken, the skin was already wrinkled. This, I had made yesterday, but since I was in a rush and running short of time, I shoved it in the refrigerator, thinking I’ll click the snaps today. But when I took it out from the refrigerator, to my utter dismay, this is what I saw. Sad, but it’s ok. The taste remained unaltered, which was my satisfaction. And lesson learnt was, that this is not meant to be put in the refrigerator. Now, don’t let the sad state of the wrinkled chicken demoralise you. The taste is awesome. I promise.
- Whole Chicken with Skin, 1.5 kg
- Combine together:
- Unsalted Butter, 50 gm, softened
- Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp.
- Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- Garlic paste, 1 tbsp.
- Paprika, 1 tsp.
- Fresly ground pepper
- Sea salt
- Lemon, 1 no., quartered
- Onions, 2 nos., medium sized, quartered
- Garlic Bulb, 1 no., broken into cloves
- Pre-heat oven to 240° C. Rince the chicken and pat it dry. Make sure to dry it completely. That's important to have a crispy chicken. Remember to bring out the chicken from the freezer, 30 minutes before roasting.
- Seasoning the chicken:
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for combining together. Smear most of it all over the chicken. Evenly. Now, to season the chicken under the skin, place it breast side up. Gently lift the skin from the chicken and spread about 2 tbsp. of the mixture underneath the skin. Press to distribute evenly. Also, season the cavity generously with this mixture.
- Next, stuff the cavity of the bird with lemon, onions and garlic cloves.
- After seasoning and stuffing the chicken, we need to truss it. To do it, tuck the wings under the chicken and tie the legs with kitchen string. This is done so that the legs stay together with the body of the bird while roasting. Though this is an optional step, I would recommend it.
- Place the chicken on a roasting tray. If you want, you can place vegetables like carrots, potatoes and tomatoes etc. to be roasted along with the chicken. Put into the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the side after 45 minutes so that the skin is deep golden brown and crisp on both sides. Your delicious Herb Roasted Whole Chicken is ready to be served.