These are the classic Shortbread Cookies. For me, right now, nothing could have been better. There is respite from the summer heat as monsoons have finally set in. So this is what happens during such times. it’s pouring outside and in the inside, there is the smell of these freshly baked cookies all around.
These cookies are something that are so simple, yet are a necessity at home. The classic recipe calls for just four ingredients. Yes, but now like every other age old recipe, this is has evolved as well. I still don’t like experimenting when it comes to making these rich, flavourful and melt-in-the-mouth biscuits. Certain recipes are best enjoyed the old fashioned way.
These buttery cookies can be given a twist from it’s classic version if you add some chocolate chips in the dough. Also, coming to think about it, these are the only cookies that I have baked so many times in my life. I don’t recollect repeating any other cookie recipe so often. And, shortbread cookies are also one of the recipes I had started with during my primary days of baking. Ah, and in case you are wondering, yes, these are eggless.
- All Purpose Flour 150 gm
- Butter 100 gm (at room temperature)
- Caster Sugar 50 gm
- Vanilla Essence 1/2 tsp.
- Mix flour and caster sugar in a bowl.
- Add butter to it and knead a soft dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a flat smooth surface, roll out the dough into a 1/4" thickness circle. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters or use a pizza cutter to cut out rectangles.
- Place these on the prepared baking sheets and put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 160°. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.