I learnt this hot Tomato Tamarind Chutney from an acquaintance during my visit to Chennai last year. I was strongly impressed to see how instantly she made this chutney. I right away dashed to get a pen and a piece of paper to note the recipe down. And when the chutney was done and served to me with plain rice, it turned out even better than my expectation. My contentment advanced to such extent that after returning from Chennai I prepared it just about everyday for an entire week; till my husband nearly pleaded for some change.
Following is the recipe of the flavourful Tomato Tamarind Chutney that was a treat for my taste buds for days.
Tomato Tamarind Chutney
Author: Arundhuti Rama
- Tomatoes - 4, large sized, cut into 4 pieces
- Green chillies - 4 (1 green chilli for each tomato)
- Tamarind pulp - 1 tbsp.
- Garlic - 4-6 cloves
- Oil - 4 tbsp.
- Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Soak tamarind pulp in 1 cup water.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add green chillies. Sauté for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Add tomato pieces in the kadai and cook till it is pulpy. Let it cool.
- Now make a smooth paste of green chillies, garlic cloves, tamarind pulp and salt, with a blender.
- Then add tomatoes and coriander leaves to the above mixture and make a paste. (Do not run the blender for more than 15 seconds in this step)